Engine Part-Load Optimization
Upgrade your environmental compliance and efficiency
Applying EPL (Engine Power Limitation) is one of the key ingredients to fulfil the Energy Efficiency Design Index for Existing Ships (EEXI) and by reducing the engine power, ships will support compliance with the CII index by limiting carbon emissions.
However, with EPL, the engine is operating outside of its optimal range. This leads to increased fuel consumption and reduced combustion quality. Very often we see that there are great opportunities to improve the operation and save fuel by developing a new performance concept matching the new operating window. Combining our expert knowledge in engine performance tuning and turbocharger matching, Accelleron can provide a package that will reduce your fuel consumption by 3 g/kWh up to 6 g/kWh.
Operating the engines at low load, Engine Part Load Optimization (EPLO) enables you to considerably reduce CO2 emissions and cut fuel costs. Furthermore, the reliability is improved by reducing carbon deposits and improving the combustion.
- Permanent engine derating
- Exhaust Waste Gate
Benefits of different options
We’re with you all the way
From permanent engine derating to wastegate installations or simply re-matching turbochargers to lower engine loads. We’ll explore the right choice for you based on your engine specification, expected load patterns and regulatory requirements.
We’ll find the solution that brings you the most competitive payback period while meeting upcoming CII (Carbon Intensity Indicator) ratings, or as a part of your SEEMP (Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan). We’ll lead you to the correct turnkey partner who will bring you through the whole project, from finding the right solution to final engineering, including managing your IMO NOx certification and approval of the final EEXI technical file. We will guide you to stay efficient and compliant.
Here's a typical engine part-load optimization upgrade
- Basic engineering for applicable solutions
- Consulting in finding the right package for your needs
- Consulting in finding the right turnkey partner for your vessel
- Turn key partner eg. main engine OEM, shipbuilding- or service-partners
- Detail engineering:
- Specification of engine parts required and engine tuning
- Specification of turbocharger parts, it’s delivery and installation
- Guiding you and consulting you through the certification process
- Delivery and execution of re-matching of turbocharger
- Execution of confirmation trial and fine tuning
- Witness of IMO NOx measurement*
- Final report including IMO NOx file* and supporting the amendment to IMO NOx technical file
* for parent engine only